Timeline for the Building of First Christian Church Warrensburg
c.1840 Services were held in members’ homes
1851 The congregation began meeting in the old Johnson County courthouse.
1859 A large brick church was built on West Gay Street
1860-65 Members scattered during the Civil War
1866 A white frame structure was built at 218 West Gay Street
1889 The present building was built and dedicated
1923 Improvements were made in the church building to provide Sunday school classrooms
1930’s In the mid 1930’s the Steeple blew off in a storm
1951 The basement of the church building was remodeled to provide a larger Fellowship Hall
1961 Ground was broken for the Education Wing
1963 The Education Wing was dedicated on September 8th
1975 Air conditioning was installed throughout the building
1980 The interior of the church was remodeled. The pews were refinished, the interior painted, and new carpet installed.
1983 The cornerstone was replaced
1985 The steeple was rebuilt and installed.
1988 The exterior of the church got a facelift as the stonework was repaired and sealed. Six mahogany doors were installed.
2001 Septagon Construction was approved as the architect and general contractor. In April, the capital campaign began.
2001 Groundbreaking ceremonies were held August 26
2002 Construction was completed in the summer.
2002 Dedication of new Christian Life Center was August 18.
The Story of the